[techtalk] A SIGSEGV problem

jenn at simegen.com jenn at simegen.com
Thu May 4 14:47:27 EST 2000

> Deepa Karnad wrote:
>
> Hi.
> A  g++ program is encountering problems during execution. There are no
> error messages as it gets linked and compiled. The executable file
> does not run though. These are the error messages observed:
> 'Program received a signal SIGSEGV, segmentation fault'
> OR
> 'Segmentation fault (core dumped)'
>  I understand this could be a memory access problem but do not know
> how to set the problem right.
> Please help.

G++? Do you mean C++, or is there Yet Another Language I Don't Know?

Do you have access to the source code?

If not, doublecheck the local hardware (grab a memory checker, or try it
on another computer). If it tests out to be the program, complain to the
seller.

If you do have access to the source, the problem is /probably/ an
incorrect pointer, an array overrun, or some other similar direct
address of memory that shouldn't be being addressed.

Not being familiar with G++ (though I know C..), I can't be more
precise.

Jenn V.

jenn at simegen.com        Jenn Vesperman
http://www.simegen.com/~jenn/