[techtalk] heads-up: M$ (e-mail) virus making rounds.

Nigel Metheringham Nigel.Metheringham at VData.co.uk
Thu May 4 14:38:14 EST 2000

andrew at plumb.org said:
> Just a quick heads-up to anyone out there that might actually be doing
> e-mail on a Windows machine, or maintaining Windows machines that
> receive e-mail.  There's a new virus making the rounds with the
> subject "I LOVE YOU"; it has a vbs script attached to that does, among
> other things, self-propagation when opened/activated.

Its pretty widespread and hitting windows (specifically outlook) lusers
hard.

Info is on
	http://www.fsecure.com/v-descs/love.htm

A recipe for filtering within the exim MTA is available - best one on
the list so far is:-
    http://www.exim.org/pipermail/exim-users/Week-of-Mon-20000501/017791
.html
[note that the archiver didn't handle the QP encoding correctly]
with a slightly more sophisticated detect function, but no supporting
info, at:-
    http://www.exim.org/pipermail/exim-users/Week-of-Mon-20000501/017799
.html

BBC story on it at
	http://news.bbc.co.uk/low/english/uk/newsid_736000/736080.stm

	Nigel
[ Nigel Metheringham                  Nigel.Metheringham at VData.co.uk ]