[techtalk] signal 11 - help

jenn at simegen.com jenn at simegen.com
Thu May 4 07:43:42 EST 2000

Jeff Dike wrote:

> > What does signal 11 mean?
>
> Signal 11 is SIGSEGV.  It means that the process accessed (tried to, anyway)
> memory that it had no access to, either because the address didn't exist in
> its address space or because it didn't have the right permissions.
>
> The question you probably wanted answered more than that is what's going on.
> With random behavior like you're getting, and with random SIGSEGVs involved,
> my WAG would be bad memory.
>
> I would find some kind of a memory tester and run it.

Hm. I did a 'man signal', 'man kill', etc and came up with the same
answer as Jeff. /MY/ next comment was going to be to doublecheck your
install source, whatever it is. Maybe try to get a clean install set
from your local LUG/Linuxchix/whatever.

But Jeff's also got a good point. Random sort of behaviour - probably a
minor hardware fault. Most likely in memory, since it /is/ sigsegv.

Jenn V.

jenn at simegen.com        Jenn Vesperman
http://www.simegen.com/~jenn/