[techtalk] Problems with RH6.1 & 2 NICs

Eric Baudais drake at x8b4e541f.dhcp.okstate.edu
Mon May 1 12:27:43 EST 2000

On Mon, 1 May 2000, Dianna Gregory wrote:

> (I was subscribed on my home email but I guess that the mailing list doesn't
> like the date my emails have in them so it kept rejecting my emails...bleh)
>

> Hello all
> I am having some problems trying to get a 2nd NIC working in my Linux box.  I
> have the first one working just fine,
> and that NIC is a 3com Etherlink XL.  THe 2nd one is a Linksys Etherfast 10/100
> and I had it in my WIn98 box working fine so I know the card is operable.  The
> linksys website says to use the Tulip driver.  So this is waht I did...
>
> vi /etc/conf.modules
> add a line that says :
> alias eth1 tulip

Looks alright.

> It detected the card correctly right after I put it in, btw.  It said it was
> adding it and whatnot to the configuration.
>
> So now, in dmesg it says:
>
> eth0: 3Com 3Com Boomeranc (unknown version) at 0xe400, 00:50:da)08:de:d4, IRQ 9
>    8K byte-wide RAM 5:3 Rx:Tx split, autoselect/Autonegotiate interface.
>    MII tranceiver found at address 24, status 182d.
>    Enabling bus-master transmits and whole-frame receives.
> Unknown Tulip-style PCI ethernet chip type 11ad c115 detected: not configured.
> VFS: DIsk change detected on device ide0(3,64)
> Unknown Tulip-style PCI ethernet chip type 11ad c115 detected: not configured.
> (and another 8 or so lines saying the exact same thing)

Oops.

> Then, in /var/log/messages it says:
>
> Apr 30 19:13:59 localhost insmod: /lib/modules/2.2.12-20/net/tulip.o:
> init_module: Device or resource busy

Have you tried $lsmod to see if the module is loaded.  If tulip isn't
loaded then there is a resource conflict.  Look at /proc/interrupts to see
what interrupt the card is on.  Look at /proc/ioports to see what part of
the I/O memory the card is using.  I would then do $insmod tulip irq=#
io=0x####.

If the PCI card doesn't show up in the /proc filesystem, good luck.
Seriously, I would do $insmod tulip irq=# io=0x#### with the interrupt and
I/O memory from Win98.  Sometimes other cards can't be autodetected
because the place they want to store their I/O memory is not within the
range Linux autodetects.

> And it's got that along with the Unknown Tulip style PCI ethernet chip type
> 11ad c115 detected: not configured lines in /var/log/messages.
>

> I have an ifcfg-eth1 file that says:
> DEVICE=eth1
> USERCTL=no
> ONBOOT=yes
> BOOTPROTO=none
> BROADCAST=192.168.1.255
> NETWORK=192.168.1.0
> NETMASK=255.255.255.0
> IPADDR=192.168.1.10

Again looks good, but I've just started running RH.

> THese I put in when it detected the card and asked if I wanted to do the
> network configs... and then it boots into linux and it like won't use the
> driver or something.
>
> Then if I type insmod tulip it says
> /lib/modules/2.2.12-20/net/tulip.o: init_module: Device or resource busy

Another, less appealing, way to go is to compile the tulip driver inside
the kernel, not as a module.  But that is strongly discouraged with more
than one NIC.

I hope this helps or at least gives a little bit of direction.  I just got
my own internal network up with masquarading and a firewall last night,
but I, like you, had a hell of a time getting NIC cards to work.  I
finally settled on 3Com cards which work very good with Linux.

Eric Baudais