[techtalk] PPP == Arg!

jenn at simegen.com jenn at simegen.com
Mon May 1 02:28:35 EST 2000

Kristina Pfaff-Harris wrote:

> Hi all. I have a tricky modem that used to work and now doesn't.  Oh, it
> dials and connects and authenticates, but after ACKing the remote address,
> it hangs up! I have looked through the PPP users mailing lists, the
> Serial, Serial Programming, Modem, and PPP Howto's, and even the kernel
> devel mailing lists to no avail.  Anyone have any idea why this might
> happen?  All the fixes I've seen have to do with problems authorizing, and
> that part is actually okay. ~sigh~ Any help gratefully accepted. :)

We get that sort of problem occasionally (we're still using
modems-no-longer-acceptable-for-the-modem-pool-so-you-might-as-well-
have-them-Dancer from our era as volunteer sysops for a community ISP).
The reason they're no longer acceptable is usually that they've
developed faults. Age, lightning strikes, assorted other hardware
glitches...

Ninety percent of the time, power cycling the modem works for us.
Sometimes you have to leave it off for a slow count of fifteen (clear
ROMS? Dunno. It's 'magic' but it works).

Jenn V.

jenn at simegen.com        Jenn Vesperman
http://www.simegen.com/~jenn/