[techtalk] Linux DBMS

Jeff phaedrus at thereactor.cleptoscastle.com
Mon Mar 27 16:54:17 EST 2000

On Mon, Mar 27, 2000 at 11:35:07AM -0500, Subba Rao wrote:

> In the e-Business arena, where are Linux servers being used?
> It looks like Linux is being used only for Web servers and development
> platforms.
>
> I am currently looking at using a DBMS server on a Linux system.
> Are Linux systems used as DBMS servers? If yes, what HW configuration
> would be recommended for a DBMS server for a e-Business application?
>
> Which DBMS systems perform well on Linux and are not resource hogs?

As far as Open Source stuff is concerned, MySQL and PostgreSQL seem to
be the favorites.  MySQL has a funky license (read carefully before you
use it for commercial ventures), and Postgres is BSD license (do
whatever the hell you want with it).  Beyond that, Postgres seems to be
the older DB, with more features at a slight cost to performance.

On the commercial front, I think Oracle has the best performance.  So,
if you have the cash, they might be a good one to look into.  Oracle is
also what my dad's workplace uses for all their information.  They are a
hospital, and Oracle on an underpowered HP/UX box has been rock solid.
(I'm not suggestion you use an HP/UX box.. no no no.. that's just what
they've got).

As far as hardware is concerned, I suggest you take a long hard look at
the servers over at http://www.valinux.com, yep, I'm advocating VA
Systems.  The reason is this: they over-engineer every box they sell.
They buy the best hardware, the stuff that works the absolute best with
Linux and is the most stable.  They carefully profile the heat in the
case and make sure it gets dispersed.  They make rock solid computers.
If you are putting your money on a solid linux system, these are the
boxes to look into.

--
Jeff

My Public Key -- http://24.5.73.229/pubkey.txt