[techtalk] Bunch of odd messages

Marie Fischer fmarie at eau.ee
Sun Mar 26 20:17:53 EST 2000

On Sat, 25 Mar 2000, Darren Osadchuk wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Mar 2000, Jeff wrote:
> >On Sat, Mar 25, 2000 at 12:39:11PM -0600, Darren Osadchuk wrote:
> >>
> >> Which is what they are:
> >>
> >> drwxr-xr-x  27 501      users        4096 Mar 25 01:09 darren
> >
> >I've seen this before.  You don't 'own' your home directory.
>
> (I wonder what I did last night that caused the problem; I didn't change
> ownership of anything...)

I think ls shows the file owner's numeric UID when it can't get
the name, that is, the user doesn't exist in /etc/password (you might
look in there if you find something strange). Usually, UIDs
of 'real' users start from 500 so 501 would be the second user you created
(if you remember). Strange how the directory got owned by a non-existant
user...

--
marie