[techtalk] Switching between desktops...

Telsa Gwynne hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk
Thu Mar 23 18:34:00 EST 2000

On Thu, Mar 23, 2000 at 02:42:00PM -0000 or thereabouts, ALEX WRIGHT wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm running Mandrake 7.0 with GNOME and KDE and Afterstep installed, and I'm
> wondering how you change between desktop managers.
> I've currently got AfterStep, but I'd like to switch to using KDE (or maybe
> GNOME...)

Red Hat has a utility called 'switchdesk':

$ rpm -qi switchdesk
Summary     : A desktop environment switcher for GNOME, KDE and AnotherLevel.
Description :
The Desktop Switcher is a tool which enables users to easily switch
between various desktop environments that they have installed.  The
tool includes support for GNOME, KDE, and AnotherLevel.  Support for
different environments on different computers is available, as well as
support for setting a global default environment.

Mandrake may well have this, with the appropriate combination of
environments.

Try typing switchdesk and see what happens :)

Telsa