[techtalk] Re: ipchains

Jeff phaedrus at thereactor.cleptoscastle.com
Sun Mar 19 12:31:50 EST 2000

On Sun, Mar 19, 2000 at 04:42:46AM -0500, Laurel Fan wrote:
> Excerpts from linuxchix: 18-Mar-100 Re: ipchains by Jeff at thereactor.cleptosc
> > However, it will only tell you the ports, some information about the
> > sequence numbers and guess the OS if you tell it to.  It won't actually
> > print out any vulnerabilities or try to break through the firewall.
>
> I've found it interesting to experiment with nmap's different scan
> types and figure out what my logs/filters pick up. (it's even got a
> decent manpage!)

It does do that.  You can also scan UDP ports, so if you are worried
about BO, UDP scan your win98 boxen on port 31337 (default BO port,
however, it can be changed).

> There's also another scanner which tries to get versions of the
> running network daemons, and compares it against its vulnerability
> database.  I'll see if I can dig up a name or URL...

I believe you are thinking of Nessus at http://www.nessus.org  It looks
promising, but I couldn't get it to compile properly on my box (I also
didn't try very hard... ;)

I forgot to do this properly in my last posting, if you are interested
in computer security -- even if it is just keeping your box locked down
-- bugtraq is a great mailing list.  It is a moderated list for
announcing and discussing security holes, most of the major linux
distros post security warnings to it, and many other independent people
post their findings (it is kind of fun to watch as hole after hole in
NT/9x/IE5 gets posted...).  Anyway, you can find more info on bugtraq at
http://www.securityfocus.com, it is in the forum section (there's a link
in the navigation bar).

--
Jeff