*cry*

Lighthouse Keeper in the Desert Sun ccovingt at one-eyed-alien.net
Sat Mar 18 00:19:18 EST 2000

So.  I finally got an ethernet card for my old 486 and put linux on it.
But there are weird problems with the filesystem, including during
updatedb, getting FAT errors for the dos partition and "attempt to read
past end of block".  And the gcc is either not there or non-functional.  I
put RedHat 6, kernel (June 1999), no X services except the libraries that
it installed by default.  I put egcs on it, and it didn't help at all.
Copying the gcc from my working computer over to the old one let
./configure find the c compiler, but it checks to see if it works and says
'no, gcc cannot create executables.'  It should have the same permissions
and be the exact same file I have on my computer, which works.  (I was
going to upgrade the kernel, but I only have the .i686 rpm, and i don't
think it would be happy trying to run on a 1994 i486.)  I installed from
the same RedHat cd, and everything.  (Ooh, maybe it wants the objective-c
parts of egcs... I'll have to try that if I can't get any advice from
y'all... or if your advice is to include it.  ;)  )  I don't think I
installed the objective C on this computer, and its gcc works fine.
*shrug*  I give up.  It's clearly time for bed.  I'll look at it in the
morning, or after I get sufficient work finished (stuff due next week that
I gotta do.)

TIA
Conni

--
Entropy:  It's not just a good idea; it's the law.

http://www2.one-eyed-alien.net/~ccovingt

http://www.angelfire.com/anime/Galadriel