[techtalk] everybuddy/icq trouble

Jeff Dike jdike at karaya.com
Mon Mar 6 18:57:52 EST 2000

> Strings?  How do I do that?  Then how do I get the stuff from the
> output?

strings is a very handy little utility.  'strings filename' goes through
filename printing out anything that looks like text.

It is a zero-order approximation to any number of blah2txt utilities :-)

In this case, it's being suggested that you run strings on some icq datafiles
or something in order to get names and numbers.

When you're done with that, go around strings-ing any other random binary
files you run across...

				Jeff