[techtalk] Proggy for Linux that will create PDF files??

Jeff phaedrus at thereactor.cleptoscastle.com
Sat Mar 4 00:02:39 EST 2000

On Fri, Mar 03, 2000 at 10:43:00AM -0700, Storm wrote:

> I am looking for one of these.   I thought Framemaker,.. but it seems that
> it won't save in that format ( from what I heard, haven't had time to fight
> with it yet.)

If you can get your document into PostScript format, you can use ps2pdf
to convert postscript to pdf.

Next Question: How the heck do I make a PostScript file?

Get a DVI (DeVice Independant file) and convert it using dvips.

Next Question: How the heck do I make a DVI file?

Use TeX or LaTeX to write up the source, and the final format of the
document is a DVI file.  So, learn to use LaTeX (you've seen the people
gripe on this list about it, but it has some nicer points to it, like
your documents don't look shoddy when they come off the printer.
Properly typesetting text with a WYSIWYG is just painful).

One quick caveat about this system: I haven't pinned down what causes
this -- it might be the pdf format, or just xpdf -- but when I convert
to pdf, the ligatures that LaTeX produces don't get displayed.  LaTeX
jams ff, fi and ffi together -- so you'd need to do something to insert
a specific tag between the ff's (or fi's, I don't remember the tag off
the top of my head; I usually only convert to PS, which handles them
just fine), search/replace works nicely for this.

--
Jeff

My Public Key -- http://24.5.73.229/pubkey.txt