[techtalk] Problem with LILO & booting

Andrew Plumb andrew at plumb.org
Wed Mar 1 14:05:30 EST 2000

On Wed, 1 Mar 2000, Snarfblat wrote:
[deletia]
> I appologize if this has been mentioned, but lilo will not work with
> NT.  They both seem to want the MBR in an exclusive manner, so you must
> pick one or the other, or find another os manager like System Commander
> (which will play nice with NT).

As Harry mentioned, there's a howto which works quite nicely, particularly
if your boot partition is NTFS.  I suspect the problems relate to using
NTFS as your boot partition instead of FAT.

On my machine, I had NT4 installed/booting off a FAT partition, which LILO
didn't seem to have any problems dealing with; I was using LILO as the
loader, not the NT OS loader as recommended in the howto.

Andrew.

--

Andrew Plumb, VE3SLG
mailto://andrew(at)plumb(dot)org