[techtalk] Problem with LILO & booting

Robert A. Newman as919 at rgfn.epcc.edu
Wed Mar 1 10:56:19 EST 2000

Hi folks

My first post here, but I've been following you for a couple of
months now.  I only just got my first Linux box running, +/-,
had the "above 1024th cylinder" problem, tried to fix it by
re-installing lilo in mbr, then I Really had a problem, couldn't
boot Windoze, finally held my breath and ran "lilo -u /dev/hda1",
one of the three major fixes I had read about, it worked, so
now I boot off a floppy.

However, after I'm asked to choose what to boot by lilo (the one
on the floppy, or the one still on /hda3?  Who knows?), it says
"booting from /hda3" or something real similar, but definitely hda3,
where my root directory is, and it does *not* take all that long
for the whole boot process.  It could be faster?

After reconfiguring lilo from hda3 to hda1, I didn't get any
numbers, just "Li ", which I understand is symptomatic of the
1024 problem, so I'm guessing it would have boot to dos if it could
have gotten past that point.  Booting from floppy, if I try to choose
dos, it says that's not an option, when I press tab for options, it
lists dos.  Oh well.

I'm real, real new at this.

-Bob Newman