[techtalk] Problem with LILO & booting

Jeff Dike jdike at karaya.com
Wed Mar 1 00:53:54 EST 2000

> It got upset and when I boot up, I get a lovely screen with 01 01 01
> 01 ... It's a Dell Dimension L500r with two EIDE drives in there,
> Win98 on the  first one and Linux occupying the second one.  Can
> anyone give me any hints as to what the booting heartattack is over?

At the bottom of the lilo README (if you could boot your system, it would be
/usr/doc/lilo*/README), I see:

   L <error> ...   The first stage boot loader has been loaded and started,
    but it can't load the second stage boot loader. The two-digit error
    codes indicate the type of problem. (See also section "Disk error
    codes".) This condition usually indicates a media failure or a geometry
    mismatch (e.g. bad disk parameters, see section "Disk geometry").

and

   0x01   "Illegal command". This shouldn't happen, but if it does, it may
    indicate an attempt to access a disk which is not supported by the
    BIOS. See also "Warning: BIOS drive 0x<number> may not be accessible"
    in section "Warnings".

So, if you recently installed that second disk, you might see if you can get
Windows on it and booting.  If not, that might support the BIOS
incompatibility theory.

If you have a spare partition on your first disk, you might try installing
Linux there (even if it's only enough to boot the system) and putting all of
your data on the second disk (after the kernel is booted, the BIOS isn't used
any more, so there shouldn't be any trouble with that).

				Jeff