[techtalk] is it dangerous...

Glen Strom gjstrom at myna.com
Tue Jun 27 20:02:42 EST 2000

At 05:33 PM 6/27/00 -0400, Walt wrote:
>Is it dangerous to "upgrade" part of my system's
>RPM's (i.e., esp the kernel) to rhl v. 6.2 while the
>rest of the system is still running 6.0 stuff?

I'm running Redhat 6.0 as well. I recently upgraded the kernel to 2.2.16 to
fix a potential security hole. Although Redhat listed the kernel as being
for version 6.2, there are i386 rpms that work just fine with version 6.0.

As for other parts of the system, I'm constantly upgrading bits and pieces
to try out new software. If the new files are incompatable, you'll get an
error message during the upgrade. So far none of my tinkering has caused a
problem on my system.

If you're concerned about potential problems, you can do a dry run. If you
do this:

rpm --test <package>

it tests the installation without actually doing it.