[techtalk] Netscape

Helena Verrill verrill at math.ku.dk
Mon Jun 26 21:52:54 EST 2000

I have noticed this crashing of netscape when java applets run -
it's annoying that it happens for some of my own java applets,
which work fine when just run in the applet viewer.  The ones
that are more likely to make netscape crash tend to be bigger
and perhaps get a 'back log' of stuff such as things that happen
on 'mouse dragged'... (at least it seems they crash in these conditions)
but the applet in the applet viewer doesn't crash.  Has anyone got any
advice about writing java applets so they are less likely to crash?  Does
using threads help?  I've only made very limited use of threads so far.
Maybe there's some way I should be able to check whether it's
likely to crash and get it to suspend or something, instead of
crashing the whole of netscape?

Helena