[techtalk] memory config?? HELP!!

stephanie1200 at netscape.net stephanie1200 at netscape.net
Mon Jun 26 15:28:49 EST 2000

hi, all. stephanie here, formerly beleza at bci-bluestone.com. Heh. what a long strange trip it's been. ;)

anyway, I need help! I wanted to research this before asking, but my system is at a crawl.  I put linux mandrake 7.1 on a 400mhz with 64 or 128 mbs of ram, i forget which (it has 1 dimm/simm/dim sum/whatever), but linux thinks it is a 166 with 27 mbs!  it showed up that way during the install, not sure why, and now it is swapping and paging all over the place and is making my life miserable. anyone know how to make it rethink how much ram and processor paower there is?  i looked in some books...no good. =(  oh. I had 7.0 on there and humming at one point so i know it's not just bunk hardware. I think.

here's what dmesg has to say about memory...

[beleza at ani lists]$ dmesg |grep mem
Memory: 25868k/28608k available (1208k kernel code, 416k reserved, 580k data, 72k init, 0k bigmem)

25 mbs??!!??  eh, help??!!??  thank you!!!