[techtalk] Pg.pm and variables

Malcolm Tredinnick malcolm at commsecure.com.au
Fri Jun 23 09:29:55 EST 2000

On Thu, Jun 22, 2000 at 07:12:38PM -0400, Lilly S. wrote:
> Was wondering if someone can help me.
>
> I'm trying to compile the pg.pm module for Postgres. Whenever I say "perl
> Makefile.pl" it yells back at me:
>
> Configuring Pg
> Remember to actually read the README file !
> please set environment variables POSTGRES_INCLUDE and POSTGRES_LIB !

The clue here is in the error message: it wants them to be environment
variables. This means you set them in your shell before running the make
process. For example (assuming you are using bash or something similar), you
can set them first and then run Makefile.pl:

	export POSTGRES_INCLUDE=/usr/include/pgsql
	export POSTGRES_LIB=/usr/lib/pgsql
	perl Makefile.pl

In this case, the environment variable will be set for the duration of your
shell's existence.

Alternatively, you can set them just for the Makefile's sub-process by
specifying them on the same command line:

	POSTGRES_INCLUDE=/usr/include/pgsql POSTGRES_LIB=/usr/lib/pgsql perl \
	Makefile.pl

(The backslash on the first line above was just because I wanted to start
another line. Ideally, you would type all that on one line and leave out the
'\'.)

Hope this helps,
Malcolm

Malcolm Tredinnick            email: malcolm at commsecure.com.au