[techtalk] along the lines of "can I change my mind?"

Telsa Gwynne hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk
Thu Jun 22 23:22:31 EST 2000

On Thu, Jun 22, 2000 at 03:10:04PM -0700 or thereabouts, ' ' wrote:
> I have a coworker running Red Hat 6.0, and gnome automatically boots up.  He
> would like to change this to boot to another GUI such as KDE, but is still
> unsure which one he would like.  What is the name of the file that controls
> this?  I have this option in Mandrake 6.0 (to choose the GUI to load), but

The best way to do this with Red Hat (and Mandrake, I gather) is not
to mess about trying to work out the difference between a display
manager and a desktop environment/window manager/thing and then find
the files to make changes to.

It's to use the command 'switchdesk' either at the command line
(apparently, although I didn't know that) or from within X. It gives
you a choice from the available options of X "environments" (GNOME,
KDE, and on RH there's AnotherStep or some such name), and when you
pick one, it sorts all the changes to make out for you and does it.

You can run it as often as you want to change the defaults of what
starts when you start X. I'll let someone else explain editing stuff
to make it start when you boot the machine up. (Guess who's not
sure herself? :))

Telsa