[techtalk] Solaris DBM files - .pag and .dir extensions?

Christian MacAuley jellhead at jellspace.net
Thu Jun 22 16:40:48 EST 2000

Hi, everyone.  I hope i don't get shafted for asking for some help
with Solaris Sparc ...

I'm migrating a website from my former FreeBSD / Apache web server
over to Solaris Sparc / Apache (i'd rather not do this, but it's what
the boss man wants).  The website relies on password protection via
the Apache AuthDBMUserFile directive, where usernames and passwords
are stored in a DBM file.

I have been using the dbmmanage script that comes with Apache to
manage my DBM files.  In FreeBSD i can create a DBM file called
"axess" by adding the user "jellhead" (or any username) using this
command:
dbmmanage axess adduser jellhead

In Solaris instead of creating one file called "axess", this command
creates two files:
axess.pag
axess.dir

Does anyone have an experience with this?

Thanx muchly!

~Christian