[techtalk] Can I change my mind now??

Jenn V. jenn at simegen.com
Thu Jun 22 16:21:39 EST 2000

Storm wrote:

> Actually, ... I know I can :)
> Ok,.. here's the question,.....
>
> When I installed Linux (Mandrake 7) I told it to automatically start the KDE
> ( or whatever, since it lets me choose from several GUIs).  I was thinking
> maybe I would start from a command line ( so that I don't let myself get so
> complacent and reliant on the KDE.) The question is,... where do I change
> this,... ?? (I'm fairly sure I can figure out the second step, that being
> when I'm tired of the commandline stuff, how to get back into the KDE :) )

I don't recall if this got answered.

1. You can call up the command line using an Xterm or an Eterm within
KDE (or any other X-windows program). This is a very common thing.

2. You can use Alt-Ctrl-F1 (or F2, F3, etc) to go to a full screen
virtual terminal. F1, btw, is your virtual console.
Return with Ctrl-F7.

3. Many - not all, but many - window managers have an 'exit the
window manager' option.

Jenn V.
--
  "We're repairing the coolant loop of a nuclear fusion reactor.
   This is women's work!"

Jenn Vesperman    jenn at simegen.com     http://www.simegen.com/~jenn