[techtalk] HELP!!!ACK!!!PANIC!!!

Brian Sweeney bsweeney at mail.veinc.com
Tue Jun 20 14:31:35 EST 2000

ACK!

Here's the deal:

I have a pentium III500Mhz machine with a SCSI HD in it.  I had 6 partitions
installed:

/      on /sda9
/boot  on /sda1
/swap  on /sda5?
/home  on /sda7?
/var   on /sda8?
/FAT   on /sda6

FAT was created because I wanted to have 1 partition setup with the FAT
filesystem, so that I could access it if I had to boot from a DOS floppy
(don't ask, just trust me).  I discovered the RHL bug in the installer that
requires you to format all paritions you created, even if you don't want to,
so I had to make the /FAT partition into ext2 filesystem.  I then attempted
to reformat it for DOS once the RHL OS was up, but couldn't figure out how
to do it.  So I decided to try deleting the /dev/sda6 (/FAT) partition using
cfdisk, then rebooting in DOS, using DOS's fdisk to create a dos partition,
and format it from there in FAT.  So, I booted up into linux single user
mode (becuase I was lazy and it takes less time to boot than multi user
mode), then ran cfdisk and deleted the partition.  I wrote the result to the
partition table.  It told me to reboot.  Just to make sure, I remounted it
before rebooting and checked that I had in face deleted the correct
partition.  When I rebooted, I got this message:

VFS: Cannot open root device 08:09
Kernel Panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 08:09

And it won't boot!  Please help if you can!  This is my new email server
that's supposed to go up tommorow evening 8-(

IS it because I deleted the partition in single user mode?  Or what?

Thanks in advance,
Brian