[techtalk] Thought this was useful

Telsa Gwynne hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk
Mon Jun 19 17:05:56 EST 2000

On Mon, Jun 19, 2000 at 10:07:28AM -0400 or thereabouts, Lilly S. wrote:
> This is for all of us newbies. I thought it's a nice "cheat-sheet".

It's brilliant.

Addenda:

> | -- etc - configuration files for network, X11, mail, etc.

I once heard this described as containing the "personality" of your
system, which I thought was a perfect description. You can configure
anything from the default prompt to the behaviour of the printer to
the cron jobs in it. "Personality" is just so apt for it!

[/usr..]
> |   | -- src - source for linux!!!
> |   |    | -- linux -> linux 2.0.30
> |   |    | -- linux-2.0.30
> |   | -- tmp -> ../var/tmp
> | -- var - system logs, compressed manual pages

On rpm-using systems, /usr/src is also where things appear if you
unpack or recompile source rpms. Usually it's /usr/src/<distro-name>/
Dunno where deb-using systems unpack that kind of thing.

The Filesystem Hierarchy Standard at http://www.pathname.org/fhs/
goes into -great- detail about what you should find where, btw, for
anyone who wants the detail on this. But Lilly's version is much
nicer to print out :)

Telsa