[techtalk] Learning more about Linux ...

jennyw jennyw at dangerousideas.com
Mon Jun 19 11:12:23 EST 2000

Hi, all!  I'm just starting to get into Linux.  I've installed it on a few
computers, but now want to learn more about what happens behind the scenes.
Hopefully I can find some answers here! Specifically, I'm interested in
knowing  ...

What are typical directory structures and file locations?  I know these
differ from distribution to distribution (and from computer to computer),
but some patterns probably exist.

What happens on bootup?  For example, what are the boot files, what order do
they get loaded in, and how do you find them?

What good resources are there that describe things like the above?  Are
there any books that anyone can recommend?

Thanks!

Jen