[techtalk] Permissions

Nancy Corbett ncorbett at halcyon.com
Mon Jun 19 10:32:33 EST 2000

Oh, another thing you can look at when setting permissions is the
httpd.conf file in under apache/conf.  This file, sets all of the defaults
for what the web server can and cannot do.  One thing people run into
sometimes is that this file (httpd.conf) is not set to allow
executables.  So even though the permissions are set correctly in the
directory and files, _boom_, the scripts will not execute!  You'll get a
forbidden error from the web browser, which doesn't tell you what piece of
your system is doing the forbiding.  There is a great log generated by
Apache, though, which usually tells all.  The apache/logs/error_log will
usually reveal whether its a directory permission or an apache snafu.

Here are some resources which go into more depth about apache and http
errors:

		http://www.apache.org/docs/misc/FAQ.html

and, for a breakdown of http status codes:

		http://www.w3.org/Protocols/HTTP/HTRESP.html

and even more http stuff:

		http://www.ics.uci.edu/pub/ietf/http/rfc1945.html

The part on the apache page about configuring your .conf files and the
part about the error_log files are both very useful.

I hope this helps.

Nancy