[techtalk] sound question (kind of long)

Marie Fischer fmarie at eau.ee
Fri Jun 16 10:29:42 EST 2000

On Thu, 15 Jun 2000, mithrandr wrote:

> After playing with OSS on and off for an hour, I say to myself "Self,
> didn't I see Ensoniq AudioPCI drivers in the kernel config when I upgraded
> to the 2.2.16 kernel?" "Why yes, I certainly did, lets get rid of this
> bolluxed OSS, it's more trouble than it's worth." So I recompile the
> kernel a few times with different Sound options (Sound built in/Ensoniq
> drivers as modules, Sound and Ensoniq drivers built in, Sound and Ensoniq
> drivers compiled as modules, etc.) I play with these options a few
> different ways to test, but nothing seems to work. Currently I have all of
> the Sound options compiled as modules (so I could use the super-cool
> sndconfig utility) , and I see it detect on startup and assign IRQs and
> DMAs and start the mixer, et. al. Still no sound.

well, have you tried the super-cool sndconfig? what does it say? and yes,
if you happen to have m$ win*, does the card work there? Have you
looked at the docs in /usr/src/linux/Documentation/sound/? It's probably
best to have everything as modules... but are the modules loaded (lsmod
should show)? When using modprobe to load them, you should be able to set
irq's and dma's and stuff (not sure if you need that).

--
marie