[techtalk] log file settings on Apache/Linux

Yvonne lemur at pobox.com
Tue Jun 13 15:34:23 EST 2000

Hi, I had this problem last week, and thought things were back to
normal, but they're not.

I was running stats on our log files using Web Trends, and noticed the
referer and agent wasn't being listed. I went
into the httpd.conf file in an attempt to turn on the CustomLog feature,
commented out the common line, and uncommented the
combined line, then stopped & started Apache. When I looked at the tail
of  the access_log, it looked like the only thing it was recording in
the log file was the IP address and the time/date. When I went back in
to httpd.conf and un-did the changes I made (& restarted Apache), the
log file still looked the same.

I kept tinkering until the access_log was back to normal, or at least,
it looks like it's back to normal, but the reports I get are not coming
out right. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Oh, we're using
Apache 1.3.12 on RH 6.0.

The original file had:

LogFormat "%{Referer}i -> %U" referer
LogFormat "%{User-agent}i" agent
CustomLog /www/logs/access_log common
#CustomLog /www/logs/referer_log referer
#CustomLog /www/logs/agent_log agent
#CustomLog /www/logs/access_log combined

Now I have it set to:

LogFormat "%h %l %u %t " common
LogFormat "%{Referer}i -> %U" referer
LogFormat "%{User-agent}i" agent
CustomLog /www/logs/access_log common
CustomLog /www/logs/referer_log referer
CustomLog /www/logs/agent_log agent
#CustomLog /www/logs/access_log combined

Thanks in advance,
Yvonne

--
Yvonne Beever