[techtalk] Modem not being ID

Stacie Turner sturner at MRA-NET.ORG
Tue Jun 13 14:26:13 EST 2000

Karina and all:

OK, I still have not gotten my stupid plug and play internal modem to work,
and unless someone has a really good idea, I'm giving up and trying an
external.  But here is what I did, perhaps you will have more luck with it,
or maybe someone can tell me what I am doing wrong:

first I used isapnp tools:

/sbin/pnpdump > /etc/isapnp.conf

then uncommented one choice in the .conf file.  (For me the choice that
didn't give me an error message when I rebooted happened to be IRQ 3 port
0x3e8)

then:

setserial /dev/ttyS2 IRQ 3 port 0x3e8  (with the device and resources of
your choice)

but now, although the machine still insists it can't find a modem.

Sigh.  I really just wanted a machine that wouldn't crash all the time.  And
although it never ever crashes, I can't get on the internet, which, given
what I do, means all I really use linux for is mahjong.

Stacie Turner
Web Coordinator
Marketing Research Association
sturner at mra-net.org