[techtalk] Missing device file

Alex Yan flare at serv.net
Fri Jun 9 11:05:54 EST 2000

which device was it?  was it a SCSI device

you should be able to do this:

  % cd /dev
  % ./MAKEDEV update

do a "man MAKEDEV" for more info.

if you need to create a specific device, and you know what the major and
minor numbers are, you can use mknod:

  % cd /dev
  % mknod sda1 b 8 1

the "b" is for "block device", the "8" is the major number, the "1" is the
minor.  those numbers should be pretty standard, or if you have custom
kernal modules installed, they should be part of that documentation.

of course, you can check out the man pages there too.  the major and minor
numbers basically tie the device file to the driver that the kernal makes
available.

finally, you should do this as root.  :)

-Alex Yan
 flare at serv.net