[techtalk] KDE on Debian

Fan, Laurel Laurel.Fan at compaq.com
Thu Jun 8 18:19:52 EST 2000

Kath, ranger at optonline.net said:
> What do I need to do (what packages to apt-get, files to
> change...) to get KDE
> running on Debian?

AFAIK, debian does not distribute KDE because of license issues.  There's a
list of unofficial apt-sources at
http://www.internatif.org/bortzmeyer/debian/apt-sources/
and there's a few for kde:
deb http://kde.tdyc.com/ slink kde kde2 contrib rkrusty
deb http://kde.tdyc.com/ potato kde kde2 contrib rkrusty
pick one of these (depending on whether you're running slink or potato) and
stick it in the apt sources file (/etc/apt/sources.list i think (I'm not at
a debian box at the moment, if that's not it, it'll probably be in the apt
or apt-get manpage).

After that, you should be able to apt-get kde packages.  There's probably a
list somewhere at http://kde.tdyc.com/.  There's probably something like
kdebase or kdecore to start with.

Disclaimer: I haven't tried it, but this seems to be the canonical answer
on the debian mailing lists.