[techtalk] Web programming and nomic

Nils Philippsen nils at wombat.dialup.fht-esslingen.de
Wed Jun 7 23:35:51 EST 2000

On Mon, 5 Jun 2000, Sharon Souter wrote:

> Not only is this an open source, cross-platform language, but it can
> interface to just about any database. In my research, I understand the
> newest version of MySQL does in fact support transactions and subselects are
> on the list to be incorporated. I however, have not had a use for those so
> far.

You will have as soon as you do something "more complex". It is great to
have the DBMS sort things out, compared with doing it for yourself. Give
PostgreSQL a shot, when you're into such stuff, it has even some more
fancy features like foreign keys.

> Seriously, if you are doing any kind of web database, you can't go wrong
> with the powerful and flexible combination of PHP, MySQL & of
> course...Apache ;)  Not only is this a cross-platform language, but it can
> interface to just about any database.

If you want to be fairly independent of which DB you use (modulo the DB's
feature set, that is), take a look at PHPLIB (http://phplib.netuse.de),
which has a nice abstraction class with which you can use just about any
database through the same API.

Nils
--
 Nils Philippsen / Berliner Straße 39 / D-71229 Leonberg // +49.7152.209647
nils at wombat.dialup.fht-esslingen.de / nils at fht-esslingen.de / nils at redhat.de