[techtalk] tftp timing out

Telsa Gwynne hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk
Wed Jun 7 13:20:15 EST 2000

On Tue, Jun 06, 2000 at 03:58:28PM -0500 or thereabouts, Nicoya Helm wrote:
> I think I must be missing something very obvious here.  When I try to
> do a tftp transfer from another machine to mine (running solaris 8),
> the request is timing out, but from what I can see the server is
> running correctly on my machine, and both machines can see each other
> (ping, traceroute).  inetd.conf reads:
> tftp  dgram udp6 wait root  /usr/sbin/in.tftpd  in.tftpd -s /tftpboot
> and I've kill -1'd  it each time I've made any modifications. Any
> ideas?

Just one, which I met with several ftp programs, though I haven't
used tftp. Are you behind a firewall? If so, I think you will need
to switch passive transfer on. Some programs do this automatically
(netscape, pftp) but others don't (lynx is a particular sod for this!)

I don't understand inetd, but I do recognise the "it just sits there
and stops" symptom, which in my case was the firewall and the need for
passive mode.

Telsa