[techtalk] Linux DNS solution?

GeekGrrl geekgrrl at geekgrrl.org
Fri Jun 2 12:10:04 EST 2000

Whether or not you need to contact a registrar (It's not just the Internic
any more) to register your Linux DNS server as a nameserver or not depends
on whether you will actually be hosting any domain names or not.

If you are just setting up to be a caching nameserver, this is not
necessary. Caching servers -can- benefit you simply by collecting and
storing DNS data locally in the server's cache, so when you ask to go to
www.linuxchix.org for the 10th time that day, your local nameserver
already has the answer for the resolver library of the program you are
using to go there and does not need to go up the nameserver tree to find
the right nameserver to get the right answer from until the TTL (Time to
Live) period of the DNS for www.linuxchix.org has expired.

There is also a list for people who run nameservers and use BIND, called
'bind-users at isc.org'. You can find more information on that at
www.isc.org, but I would not recommend this list for those just beginning
to use BIND. They can be a little RTFM, which isn't really all that
helpful when just starting and just trying to understand the
system. Ironically, it's very simplicity causes large headaches :) I would
be happy to answer DNS/BIND related questions through this list or private
email. I am a DNS Administrator both privately and professionally.

BTW: Be careful of rpms and make absolutely certain that they are BIND
8.2.2P5 and not any other version before you use them. Compiling BIND from
source is -very- easy, taking a total of five steps to complete.