[techtalk] *nix comparisons?

Steve Kudlak chromexa at ovis.net
Mon Jul 17 04:17:16 EST 2000

"Lilly S." wrote:

> I would be interested in this as well. For the last two years+ I have been
> trying to install various versions of Red Hat, to no avail. The problem is
> dual boot. I installed Red Hat on two machines at work, and they work like
> a charm. I tried today to install Mandrake 7.1 today because it came with
> Maximum Linux, and it worked on the first try. The main difference between
> the two installations was that in Mandrake it kept hda and hdc seperate in
> their listing, and had an extremely useful feature called "suggest
> partition", which had Linux had, it would have saved me and many other
> people tons of hours, and hundreds of dollars (killed the partition table
> twice, and cost me about $400 to repair it).
>
> Now, my problem is I have Mandrake, and I have never used it before. What
> should I expect? Is it that radically different from Red Hat? DOes it
> really matter in the end what version I have?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Lilly
>
> On Sun, 16 Jul 2000, Julia Coolman wrote:
>
> > Kind folks:
> >
> > Please don't be mad. I am thinking of installing netBSD, to play with and
> > to keep my linuxppc partition company.
> >
> > Before I leap I would like to look over a comparison between the unices,
> > or maybe just a superficial "similarities and differences in UI"  but I
> > have looked to no avail. Has anyone run across a quickie comparison, or am
> > I gonna need to dig deeper?
> >
> > Thanks, y'all.
> >
> > Julia Coolman
> >
> > jcoolman at gladstone.uoregon.edu

Please excuse my old style of leaving the previous messssages fully intact. I am
interested in going *nix for awhile. Into my (shuld I say hot little
hands====but in no case was I looking)
hands have fallen a copy of 4.2 freee BSD and also in a rather weird
circumdtamce (I was cleaning, yes I do that on occasssion) and found a vopu of
Rehat 6.4 cold fusion, supposedly the latesr abd greatedt, I am still tempted to
start it in order to have EMACS my fave toold and something that doesn;t mess
with something else when I run it. or gasp insalll it. There are still things I
alas can do only on the MSoft world, or still easier to do there sigh.

Also hasanyone got *nix to run with the dreaded winmodem?  In addition to having
then in hand====we;;; I have been leaning to Redhat, COREL (alas no emacs,
inless istalled seperately)
and the famour redhat.  Has anyone uded RedHat cold fussion?

Thanks Much,
Send Steve