[techtalk] A Postscript question

Fan, Laurel Laurel.Fan at compaq.com
Thu Jul 13 15:02:20 EST 2000

Amanda Owens, amowens at radonc.duke.edu, said:
> I have a photo that started out as a jpg or gif or something, but has been
> turned (via gimp or xv) into a .ps file. What my boss wants me to do is
> now edit that postscript file, and insert some lines and text. Is it
> possible? If so, how?

If I understand what you want to do, it's possible to do it with
convert from imagemagick (http://www.imagemagick.org).  It basically
lets you draw text or shapes on top of an image (and works with a
few dozen image formats, including ps, so you could do it with the
original photos).  I believe imagemagick also comes with c libraries
and/or perl modules with similar functionality.

I'm sure it's also possible to edit the ps file, but I don't know how
to do that.