[techtalk] Re: Problems with two ethernet cards

E. Charters echarters at primus.ca
Mon Jul 10 08:36:11 EST 2000

bill t wrote:

> Here is the situation.
>
> I am building a firewall with an old 486 33 Mhz.
> Motherboard = ???
> ram = 20 M
> hd = 800 M
>  2 3com 3c509 ethernet cards
>  1 56 k zircon internal modem
>
> Things to know:
> interrupts
> eth0 - 10
> eth1 - 11
> both use ioport 0300 - 030f ( I think this is the problem
# You may add this to your lilo.conf file: append="ether=0,0,eth1" (note
where
the quiotes are.. this is beacause your first card should be auto
probed.

# You can compile the 3com driver in the kernel. The ethernet how -to
has
all sorts of stuff on 3 com problems as well. Read it. 	Also read the
mini-HOTO
of multiple ethernet cards. I will send it on request.

# OF course you have to use DIFFERENT addresses for the 3com cards ! OF
COURSE they won't share the same addresses! And you SHOULD NOT use
0x300 as an address as I believe it gets mixed up with serial ports
or parallel. Perhaps you should try 0x200 and 0x240.Remember sound cards
use
0x220 and many SCSI cards use interrupt 11. Also perhaps interrupt 10
could
be in use by sound cards, the PCI bus, or a scanner. I would suggest
using
interrupt 7 or 9 and 11. It may be necessary to use a DOS utility to
configure
the actual 3COM card before you use it in Linux.

try the command at lilo of: ether=10,0,0,eth0 11,0,0,eth1

The command should follow your image command to boot i.e. "linux
ether=etc,, etc"

          Wildcat Resources Ltd. NetLinux Corp
  mailto:echarters at primus.ca  mailto:e_charter at yahoo.com
               mailto:charterse at Home.com
Box 324, Postal Stn "P", 704 Spadina Ave, Toronto On. M5S-2S8
   PHN 416-429-7001 CELL 416-616-4315 FAX 416-429-5422