[techtalk] login restriction

Telsa Gwynne hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk
Sun Jul 9 17:59:58 EST 2000

On Fri, Jul 07, 2000 at 05:54:44PM -0400 or thereabouts, Susannah D. Rosenberg wrote:
> sorry, no clue. oooh... <peers into /etc/security/group.conf>. damn.
> it's like a little howto on being a group-based access nazi. cool!
>
> quote from the default suse group.conf:
> '# **** Example: games are alowed between the hours of 6pm and 6am.'
>
> wow. how mind-boggingly evil and restrictive. :)

Snigger. Some years ago we had a borrowed copy of the printed manual
for an early UNIX floating around the house. It had the infamous "bug"
for the chess(?) game: "Warning: overuse of this program will cause
it to go away". Apparently people were spending too long playing it :)

This is the same manual which explained the keyboard buffer in a footnote
as being caused by a little gnome which collected the letters from the
keyboard and carried it to the machine -- and it only had so many hands
so it could only carry so many letters. I read it in absolute disbelief
and then came down with a fit of the giggles.

Wildly off-topic, but your example just made me think of it :)

Telsa