[techtalk] Debian woes

Nicole Zimmerman colby at wsu.edu
Fri Jul 7 23:13:44 EST 2000

> Can you get to other services?  telnetd is a inetd service and wu-ftpd
> can be run via inetd.  You should check /etc/hosts.deny to see if
> tcp_wrappers will be dropping your connection.  Other tahn that it is
> difficult to diagnose your problem without further information.

My suggestions:

check logs in /var/log/syslog (at least that's where I looked when I was
having these sorts of problems) to see what is going on when a connection
attempt is happening

check hosts.deny and hosts.allow. Turn off paranoid (comment out the line
ALL: ALL: PARANOID) and see if that makes a difference (for me it didn't
but we tested it a couple of times to see if that was the problem), if not
you might want to turn it back on.

check ip masq/forwarding to see if there are some rules in there you don't
like. Somehow my box was denying incoming stuff using rules I'd never
implemented... try ipfwadm -F (forwarding rules) -O (out rules) and -I (in
rules) to see what rules are in there and you can use -d to delete.

Again, I think knowing if other services are working a-ok would be helpful
(webserver? samba? anything?)

-nicole