security blather Re: [techtalk] login restriction

moebius at ip-solutions.net moebius at ip-solutions.net
Fri Jul 7 14:06:44 EST 2000

Hey All,

A firewall cannot tell the difference btwn a telnet connection and a smtp
connection, that I am aware of. Telnet doesn't really do anything special
beside open a connection to a particluar port (usu. 23). In addition to
that many smtp's have to be configured to allow for somewhat non-standard
stmp connections, ie -> using bogus mail clients.
HTH,
Harry