[techtalk] restricting IP

Susannah D. Rosenberg indrani at mindspring.com
Fri Jul 7 17:44:08 EST 2000

Paul Ragogna wrote:
> ****Now for my Query****
>
> I would like to restrict telnet access to my computer to only a few IP
> addresses.  In order to do this I edited the hosts.deny fill with ALL:ALL,
> and the hosts.allow file with the IP adresses which I wanted to allow
> access.  Unfortunately this doesn't seem to work.   Is there another way
> to restrict access?   If there is how do I do it?

i hate to be repetitive, but, um, did you HUP the server after editing
the file? yeah, i know, it's basic and silly, but i wouldn't suggest it
if i hadn't made the same mistake myself occasionally.

(try, as root or appropriately empowered user: 'killall -HUP inetd'.)

also, to again be repetitive: telnet, nnoooo! ssh forever!