[techtalk] login restriction

Patricia Jung trish at trish.de
Fri Jul 7 20:11:55 EST 2000

Hi Brian and all,

 Du hast am Fri, Jul 07, 2000 at 01:52:46PM -0400 folgendes geschrieben:

> Does anyone know how to restrict users on a RHL 6.0 box from being able to
> actually login?  I know this sounds strange, but hear me out.  I have this
What about /bin/nologin, /bin/false or something similar as login-shell
in /etc/passwd?

If you want to disable non-root-logins completely, some distributions
(c.f. the pam-configfile for login -- /etc/pam.d/login or similar)
check, whether a /etc/nologin-file exists. However,
I wouldn't recommend this because even a sysadmin shouldn't do everything
as root.

Greets

	Patricia