[techtalk] RE: mass useradd

Julie jockgrrl at ix.netcom.com
Thu Jul 6 12:22:11 EST 2000

From: Aaron Malone <aaron at mancala.semo.net>
To: <techtalk at linuxchix.org>
> On Thu, Jul 06, 2000 at 12:55:59PM -0400, Brian Sweeney wrote:
> > Thanks, Aaron, for pointing me to chpasswd...that's what pointed to
> > newusers. 8-)
>
> Yes, actually I ran into it as well a few days ago, after I'd already
> written a script to re-create it.
>
> Just another chapter in my long history of re-implementing programs
> and functions. :)

Y'all really need to go drag out the Shadow Password Suite
and see what all is in there.  I wrote newusers =years= ago
because people had that exact problem.

As I wrote in my reply to Brian which was swallowed by the
'net, useradd has many options which you can't get with
newusers.  If you do useradd, then chpasswd you get the
best overall solution.  It's slower (since the file routines do
some pretty neat stuff when you batch changes), but it does
give you access to all the user and group configuration
options.

-- Julie.