[techtalk] Desperately Seeking the Clipboard

Laurel Fan lf25+ at andrew.cmu.edu
Mon Jan 31 16:36:09 EST 2000

Excerpts from linuxchix: 31-Jan-100 [techtalk] Desperately Seek.. by
"C.E.Lestyna"@velvetapoc
> Where exactly is my cutting and pasting being stored?

When you're in X, this is stored in the X server.  In the X server,
these are called Selections.  Basically, when an application wants to
copy, it calls the Xlib function XSetSelectionOwner to say "I want to
have the Selection now".  When an application wants to paste, it calls
the Xlib function XConvertSelection to say "Owner of the Selection, give
me your data".  It's actually quite a bit more complicated than that,
and if you want to find out more, there's a section about it in ORA's
Xlib Programming Manual.

When you're on the console, gpm handles all of the cutting and pasting.