[techtalk] MP3's and my laptop

Laurel Fan lf25+ at andrew.cmu.edu
Sun Jan 30 21:08:44 EST 2000

Excerpts from linuxchix: 30-Jan-100 Re: [techtalk] MP3's and my.. by
Terri Oda at thetoybox.org
> Good thought only... if winamp runs on a friend's celeron, why won't it run
> on my laptop's celeron?  Is there anything potentially different?

Your laptop could be on crack...  A friend of mine found that an old
Pentium-based Dell laptop had a '386 Mode', which if turned on, made it
run very, very, slow.  Somewhat like a 386, in fact.  I'd look to see if
any similar power saving features are enabled...

I tried to find info about mobile celerons on Intel's web site, but the
Javascript confused lynx.  I did find stuff about the Mobile PIII, which
contains "Intel(c) SpeedStep(TM) Technology", which I'm guessing is
marketing-speak for "it can slow down to save power"...