[techtalk] .iso format

coder coderman at mindspring.com
Thu Jan 27 18:11:24 EST 2000

moebius at ip-solutions.net wrote:

> Hey All,
>   I was wondering if anyone has any info about the iso
> images (such as RedHat ftp site). I want to build a RH
> distro that already includes security and bugfixes. I am
> under the impression that the .iso images copies onto
> the CD which also make it bootable. Anybody??
> Thanks,

To mount an ISO image stored as a file on disk you will need loop back
block device support.
If you have this feature in your kernel, the following will mount the
image as read only (you cannot read and write to an ISO image directly,
you must create a new image via mkisofs, or mkhybrid)

mount -t iso9660 -o ro,loop=/dev/loop0 /image_file.iso /mnt/cdrom

For bootable: create the boot image, perhaps as a copy from a file via:
dd if=/dev/fd0 of=boot.img bs=18k
Once you mount the disk image as a loopback block device, you should be
able to copy the standard boot.img files stored on the iso image for use
as the boot image during burn.

Pass this boot.img file as an argument to mkisofs, or mkhybrid as the
boot image to use.  There is usually an option for this in the GUI front
ends to CD bruning such as gcombust or XCDRoast.

As for the actual burn, just burn the image like normal.
Hope that helps...

--
.oO()Oo.oO()Oo.oO()Oo.oO()Oo.oO()Oo.oO()Oo.oO()Oo.oO()Oo.oO()Oo.
    coderman at mindspring.com | http://cubicmetercrystal.com/