[techtalk] Computer clock way slow

Michael Carson mikecarson at usa.net
Wed Jan 26 22:45:51 EST 2000

J B wrote:

> Ouch....Ok, then why does my BIOS, and a couple of other machines want to
> know what the cycle time is for power?....
> You have a good point, though....makes sense, but cannot figure it out...

    Pure speculation:  Maybe so it can switch the switchable power supply to
the right values?  'Though my laptop's AC adapter switches automatically,
I've seen desktops with a manual switch.
    Which brings me to something that get to me - MBs with software setups
for things like CPU speed and voltage.  Isn't that something the MB needs to
have right *before* power is applied?

C.