[techtalk] computer problem, part 2

Lighthouse Keeper in the Desert Sun ccovingt at one-eyed-alien.net
Wed Jan 26 12:11:52 EST 2000

So, signs point to the problem not being this box.  The problem actually
lies either with the Mac or somewhere between the Mac and here.  We both
think that the hub probably isn't bad, since it's stil pretty new (less
than a year old) and some diagnostic tests show that its behavior is
consistent for every port.  (Ie, the blinking of the rx lights is
consistent when the ports are reversed, ie, when we put his where mine is
and vv.)
So, despite this being a linux list, does anyone know what could cause a
Mac to stop talking tcp/ip right?  He doesn't have appletalk set up, and
tcp/ip is running by default.  He can't figure out what's wrong.  He's
changed setting, unchanged them, looked things up... no idea.  tcpdump
gives (when i ping him) ' 13:53:40.280773 arp who-has mokona tell sakura'
(mokona being his, sakura being mine).  When he pings me, tcpdump hears
nothing.  I added his hardware address, and then tcpdump said
'13:44:32.481265 sakura > mokona: icmp: echo request' and ping reported
100% packet loss.  I'm stumped; he's stumped; our computer geek friends
are stumped...

Anyone?

Conni

--
We are the Burgh.  Youns need assimilated.
			-John Moseman

http://www2.one-eyed-alien.net/~ccovingt

http://www.angelfire.com/anime/Galadriel