[techtalk] sound probs

Malcolm Tredinnick malcolmt at smart.net.au
Wed Jan 26 00:38:31 EST 2000

None of the following are necessarily solutions -- just a couple of thoughts
about things you might look at.

On Mon, Jan 24, 2000 at 10:02:54PM -0500, Nicole wrote:
> My soundcard won't work in debian, not sure what kind of soundcard I have,
> when I boot into windows, all it says is ES1879 Plug and Play Audio Drive.
> However, I have the same laptop as a friend, and I copied his conf.modules
> file (he is running redhat).

My first thought when I read this was: since it's a Plug-n-Play card, are you
running isapnp to set it up on boot?

[...snip...]
> Then, after I remove sound and soundcore and try to modprobe sound I get:
>
> bash-2.03$ sudo modprobe sound
> Note: /etc/modules.conf is more recent than
> /lib/modules/2.2.14/modules.dep

This is a strange error, unless you this is the output immediately after you
copied over your friend's conf.modules file (i.e. before a reboot). Usually,
modules.dep is rebuilt every reboot. If you want to do it manually, the
command is 'depmod -a'.

> Using /lib/modules/2.2.14/misc/sound.o
> insmod: a module named sound already exists
> insmod: insmod /lib/modules/2.2.14/misc/sound.o failed
> insmod: insmod sound failed
> bash-2.03$

[...snip...]
> And here are the relevent lines from /etc/modules.conf:
>
> alias sound sb
> pre-install sound insmod sound dmabuf=1
> alias midi opl3
> options opl3 io=0x388
> options sb io=0x240 irq=5 dma=1 mpu_io=0x330

This all looks pretty good (assuming you got the various "magic numbers" for
io, irq, etc correct).

Cheers,
Malcolm Tredinnick

--
If you think nobody cares, try missing a couple of payments.