[techtalk] Really weird computer troubles

Lighthouse Keeper in the Desert Sun ccovingt at one-eyed-alien.net
Mon Jan 24 19:04:40 EST 2000

On Jan 24, Laurel Fan conjectured:

> Make sure everything's locking/unlocking the modem correctly?  (check
> /var/lock)

One I can answer in a sentence or two.  Joy.

I deleted the lock option from ppp-options to appease kppp (which I can
run as su, but I haven't for the life of me any idea how to install the
suid bitset it wanted me to).

The entry for LCK..modem in /var/lock is 01290 kppp user, which it should
be, since I'm using kppp right now.

The problem lies somewhere between eth0 (my computer) and eth1 (the mac 4
feet away).  They don't want to talk to each other.  Silly machines.

Conni
at least able to connect through linux today...

--
Curiosity kills people.  Dead people too.
		 	-Jolene

http://www2.one-eyed-alien.net/~ccovingt

http://www.angelfire.com/anime/Galadriel